PEARL OF PENANG. In 1885 the E&O hotel started off with a 30-bedroom lodging house with a dining room with 12 tables. Over time the hotel was altered to accommodate new facilities. In 1907, the main block was demolished to allow for a two-storey guest room wing, a new sea wall, a dining room, a dance floor and a bar. At its height in 1923, E&O hotel, fondly called as the Premier Hotel East of Suez, was known as the largest and best hotel in Penang, with the longest seafront. In 1995, after an extensive 5-year restoration work, the hotel was re-opened as a luxury heritage hotel.
The new 139-room annex wing is located adjacent to the original E&O Hotel along the historic sea wall. The whole hotel is sited within the UNESCO World Heritage Site of Georgetown, Penang. Proud of being the custodian of an architectural icon and heritage landmark in Penang, the owners have insisted that the new annex wing recapture the architectural spirit of the Victorian era. The same architectural elements of the original hotel are incorporated into the new wing including the signature lobby cupola, which proudly caps the suites at the top of the tower wing. The new wing houses much larger ballrooms and meeting rooms to meet the demands and keeping in par with the current international hotel standard.
In keeping to the original Victorian styled model guestrooms of the early 1900s, all guestrooms enjoy the sea view, afforded with en-suite bathrooms fitted with claw footed long baths with freestanding plumbing, pedestal ceramic basins, ceiling fans and private balconies.
The new interior is based on a modern interpretation of East meets West with furnishing elements entwining harmoniously in a classical setting.